The following timeline has been constructed from extracts of various publications including the "History and Antiquities of the County of Durham" 1910 version (HACD) by Robert Surtees, Helen Abbott’s’ book's “Before and After Braddyll” (BAB) and "Murton from Hamlet to Village"(MHV),(copies of both books are held in Murton Library), articles from newspapers various personal diaries, Parish records and information provided by individual members of our community.
Where we have referenced from any of these publications in the timeline we have used the abbreviations in brackets to denote the source and page of the material. As some of this material is taken from books dated 1910 etc the spelling and any quotes are as they appear regardless of errors.
If you have any further significant dates and facts about the history of Murton which you would like to be considered for inclusion in the Murton Timeline please forward them to our email address see Contact Us
As the early recorded history of Murton formed part of the estate of Dalton-le-Dale some of the initial dates refer to documents about Dalton and its Knights.
First signs of people living in the Murton Area. 1200 to 1600 BC A round barrow (mound of earth or stone anciently built over a
grave) was discovered in (what year?) and located to the south of the eastern end of the present village of Murton and
although is now under plough is located on the maps as a "Tumulus" The barrow measured approx 50 feet in diameter
and 3 feet high, the grave goods excavated (a flint knife and scraper) were taken to Sunderland Museum. (BAB p 80)
Saxon Times Signs that Murton may once had a Saxon church were discovered when foundations were laid in 1912 for the Aged
Miners Homes. (BAB p 80)
Murton's Saxon name refered to as "Birflatt" by documents held by the Church of Durham (BAB p22)
"Cendune, the son of Walter de Morton, gave to the Monks of Durham one acre of land, whichever they themselves should
chuse out of four acres which he held in Birflatt. The church of Durham still holds a small parcel of land, about three acres,
in Murton, which possibly originated under this donation. Murton pays a modus to the Vicar of Dalton of 4l. 17s on May 30th
and 2l. 13s on October 10th, in lieu of small tithes. (HACD p 11)
1115- reference to "the churches, Dalton possessions and those of the Lords of Seaham and Dalden" (BAB p 84)
1155- The Descent of property in Dalton is identified with its Church history. Dalton, then considered as an appendage of South
Wearmouth, was included in the grant of King Athelstan to the Shrine of St Cuthbert and the Church was afterwards given
by Bishop Richard de Marisco to the Convent of Durham. In 1155 the boundaries betwixt the possessions of the Church
in Dalton and those of the Lords of Dalden and Seham were fixed by a solemn Composition entered into by Prior Absalon
and the Convent of Durham on the one part and Helias d'Escolland Lord of Dalden and Galfrid his son and heir on the other
part".(HACD p2 note spellings taken from book)
"After the Dissolution, the possessions of the Convent in Dalton, Dalden, and Morton, were included in the endowment of
the new Cathedral of Durham; andat this day the whole of the lands within the Township are held by leases for years under
the Dean and Chapter" (HACD p 3)
1180- St Andrews Church Dalton-le-dale first vicar Gilbert de Bellingham, recorded on a tablet on the north wall over the sundial
"In the first ages after the Conquest, Dalden Tower was the seat of the Baronial family of Escolland, who (I am inclined to believe )
afterwards assumed the local name of Dalden. Reference to the succession of vicars of Dalton-in-Valle from 1180 to 1783
1215-1240 A deed refers to Dalton-le-Dales Morton "Charter wherby Walter de Audre confirms to Thomas de Essa (Easington)
for his homage and service, his land of the middle moor towards the south pertaining to the vill of Morton. (BAB p25)
1262- Reference to Sir Walter de Audrey owner of Dalton- le- Dales Morton named as one of the Knights of the Durham Bishopric
who fought for King Henry III at the Battle of Lewes (BAB p13)
1273- Reference from Surtees about the tithes from Dalton and Murton to the Prior and Convent of Durham. (BAB p86) (HACD p3)
1325- Sir Jordan of Dalden was licensed to establish a small oratory or private chapel in Dalden Tower (BAB p84) (HACD p6)
1337- Reference from Surtees about the Scottish marauders and the effects of their pillaging of Stockton together with Moreton and
Hesilden. The remaining inhabitants being "in a state of beggary and unable to pay anything to the vicar" (BAB p 86-87) (HACD p3)
Reference to the fines imposed on the Collingwoods of Dalton referred to as Papist recusants (BAB p 88)
1348- reference to the "Pedigree of Dalden" Family Tree of the Knights of Dalden from 1348 to 1421 Sir Jordan de Dalden to Sir William
Bowes (HACD p9)
1363- The Church of Dalton paid 3s 4d for smoke pennies toward support of the structure of Durham Cathedral (BAB p 87) (HACD p 4)
1371-"Before 1371 William de Dalden died seised of the Manor of Dalden (for which Henry Lord Percy performed suit at the County
Court every fortnight) leaving Jordan de Dalden, his son and heir of full age. (HACD p6)
1375- St Andrews church reference to "the marriage of Sir William Bowes to Matilda daughter and heiress of Robert Dalden" (BAB p84)
(HACD p 7)
"Dalden Tower became for two centuries a favourite seat of the family of Bowes" (HACD p 7)
1400- At the General Array of the Clergy upon Gillygate Moor the vicar of Dalton furnished one Archer.(HACD p4)
1420- Reference to "Maud, Lady of Dalden the heiress of her family and widow of Sir Wm Bowes . (HACD p 7)
1421- Thomas Leys Vicar-General to Cardinal Thomas Langley, pronounced sentence against Richard Knapton, Vicar of Dalton,
claiming the tithe hay of Morton and decided the same tithe to belong wholly to the Prior and Convent of Durham.
14th Century Remains - An East Anglican font (approx four feet in diameter) was discovered on the road from Murton to Hawthorn
shaft road and was taken to Durham Crypt. (BAB p 80)
1538- Thomas Lord Cromwell orders the keeping of Parish Records across the Nation.
1556- "Sir George Bowes Knt. died leaving three daughters who inherited his estates to in the eastern part of the County,(including
Dalden) Elizabeth the eldest co-heir, intermarried with John Blakiston, of Blakiston; Dorothy, with Sir Cuthbert Collingwood,
of Eslington; and Anne the youngest became the wife of her cousin Robert Bowes of Aske. The Manor of Dalden was divided
betwixt Blakiston and Collingwood but it became the seat of the latter: Sir Cuthbert Collingwood resided here in the reign of
Elizabeth. (HACD p8)
1566- "John Lord Lumley alienated the whole Manor (of Murton-in-the-Whins) to his tenants, in eight portions, about 1566 ". (HACD p9)
Indentured 20 Feb 8 Eliz, between John Lumley, Knighte, Lord Lumley and Richard Rede, Thomas Younge, Thomas Shadfurth,
Anthony Dune, John Gregson, William Unthanke, John Shakloke, and John Robinson of Morton, Husbandmen. (HACD p10)
"Some time after this original conveyance, the eighth purchasers, who style themselves "the eyghte neighbours and freeholders
of Morton" agreed to divide "the wholl Manor and Lordship of Morton into two equall partes and porcons, whereof Richard
Rede, Anthonie Shawdfurth, Anthonie Dune, and John Robinson, should occupie the one parte and porcon in severalty and
division, vis the Oxe Pasture, Whitwell Close, and Pounderley field, as the dooles were raised in this division and the Northfield
and halfpenne lawes; and the other four neighbours, viz. John Gregson, John Shacklocke, Thomas Young, and Thomas Unthanke,
should occupy the other parte-to witt, the Cowe Close, the Dene-heughe Close, the high Cross-field, the Parke, a portion of the
Northfield lying on the West side of the Parke as the dooles was raised and the whole of the Dene banches with the Lane"
13 Nov 35 Eliz (HACD p 11)
By deed Sept 8 John Lord Lumley granted a tenement in Murton to Thomas Shaldforde which by Inq. 22 Eliz. is called an eighth
part of the Manor, and descended to his son Anthony Shadforth.
1579-"William Unthanke died seised of the eighth part the Manor (of Murton-in-the-Whins) ,purchased of Lord Lumley, held by homage,
fealty, and 53s, 6d leaving Thomas his son and heir." (HACD p9)
1593- Reference to one of Daltons wealthy families (The Collingwoods) had to pay monthly fines of £20 (or goods in lieu) to the crown
for not swearing allegiance to King Henry as head of the English Church and not the Pope. (BAB p 84)
1607- John Gregson, of Morton, Yeoman, died 1607 leaving Richard Gregson, Clerk, his son and heir, aged 50years; but he had
previously settled his estate by deed, 14 May, 40 Eliz on his second son Thomas Gregson ( HACD p10)
1610- First Parish Records of Dalton-le-Dale according to Kelly. (BAB p94)
1615- Robert Collingwood of Hetton purchased a moiety of the Manor of Dalden from Sir Thomas Blakiston, Bart. (HACD p 8)
1618- George Collingwood Esq purchased the Manor from his brother Robert Collingwood. Pedigree of Collingwood of Dalden,
Eppleton and Hetton-on-the-Hill. (HACD p8 and facing page)
1624- John Shacklock (son and heir of Richard) granted a messuage, twenty acres of land, twenty of meadow, thirty of pasture,
50 of furze, and 50 of moor, in Murton-in-the-Whins, to William and John Shipperdson. (HACD p 9)
1627- April 24th The estate of Morton-in-the-Whins is entitled to 10/159parts of the rent of Longstock Farm, Hants under
the will of Henry Smith of Silver Street, London. (BAB p89)
1644- March 23rd to April 8th Reference to the Scottish Soldiers occupying Sunderland supporting Cromwell against the Royalists,
these would pass Daldon Bridge to get from Sunderland to Easington. The enemy was the Royalist Army of Newcastle,
which supported Charles (the monarchy), while Sunderland supported Parliament (BAB 95)
This is the first recorded battle between Sunderland and Newcastle Fans and the tradition is continued today at every local
derby football game. (only joking, but it demonstrates the early friction between neighbouring cities)
7th August, reference to Recusants estates in Dalton Parish, George Collingwoods tenants in all 169l 0s 9d (HACD p5)
12th August reference to the tithes of Dalton Towne, "the inheritance of the Tythe hay of Morton is in Mr Thomas Shadforth,
Esquire the rent reserved to the Dean and Chapter" (HACD p 5) -Edward Shipperdson bought two sections of land in Murton.
1645- William Shipperdson granted his whole tenement in Murton to his son Edward Shipperdson. (HACD p 9)
1653- 29th September, First entry in Dalton-le-Dales Parish Register.
1664- Naming in the Sequestrators book with references to the tythes of Dalton and Murton. "Tythe corne of Murton belongeth
to Deane and Chapter"
1674- By indenture 23 April Thomas Shadforth of Eppleton, Esq. (grandson of Anthony), conveyed to his brother, John Shadforth,
of Gateshead, Gent. his west part of the close called Dean-heugh and his meadow close being the South-East end of High
Crossefield in Murton; and 22 March 1681 John Shadforth, of Offerton, Gent granted the same parcels to Edward Shipperdson,
Gent in exchange for messuages in Jesmond (HACD p 10)
1700- Appointed overseers of the poor were John Gregson of Moorton and Will Wood of Cold Hesledon. (BAB p 89)
1708- Appointed overseers of the poor were Giles Raine, Nicholas Hornsby, George Shippard and Ralph Shipperdson.
1715- "The last Collingwood , of Esslington, perished in the ill fated insurrection of 1715, and the family residence there became,
by purchase from the Crown, the property of the Liddels, of Ravensworth." (HACD p 8)
1739- "seven shillings for a coffin for a poor traveller buried in Dalton-le-dale. (BAB p89)
1758- reference to the Mascall family buried in Dalton-le-Dale church. (HACD p 2)
1770- Tithe Map This map shows the dwellings in East Morton The names of two of the fields has reference to the early Saxon
name (Birflatt) The Long Flatt and the South Flatt. The dwellings are situated in the location of the present day
Village Inn, Raines Farm and Gregson Terrace etc.
1780- Richard Earl of Scarborough conveyed the manor of Hesilden together with a free rent of £21 6s 8d and eight shillings or
eight fat hens "issuing out of eight farmholders in Morton-in-the-Whins" to William Gibson of Newcastle, for 10,750l;
1792- The vicar receives the great tithes under a lease from the Dean and Chapter and all other ecclesiastical dues whatever
within the township of Dalton-le-Dale. (BAB p88) (HACD p 11)
1801- Population of East Morton was 75 lodged in 9 houses. These were farmers, saddlers, shoesmiths, blacksmiths,
shepherds a shoemaker and possibly a weaver. (BAB p81)
1803- "On 13th January 1803 the devisee and trustee for sale, under the will of W. Gibson, conveyed the Manor and estate
for 12,000l to Richard Pemberton, of Barnes, Esq." (HACD p 11)
1808- October 2nd Read at the Divine Service at the parish church of Dalton-le-Dale, Murton Ratepayers, mostly farmers
consisted of nine.(BAB p92)
1830- Population of East Morton (Murton) 96.
1833- 5th August South Hetton to Seaham Railway Line opened (BAB p 41)
1834- South Church Street Built (BAB 121)
1835- 2nd July Railway line extension to Haswell opened
1836- Murton Railway Station opened. Durham to Sunderland railway line completed Murton Street (containing the earliest
colliery shops ) built with South Street, East Street, Durham Place, Shipperdson and Villiers Street soon to follow.
1838- 19th February, Dalton New Winning, first sod cut, East Pit. Later to become Murton Colliery two shafts each 14 feet
diameter started simultaneously 10th April, Started to sink Polka Pit, later to become the Middle Pit.
1839- Primitive Methodist Chapel opens its first Sunday school in Back Of The Shaft (public house).(MHV p2)
June 26th Water erupts in East Pit shaft.
1840- May 23rd water erupts in second shaft and as the engine power was inadequate the operations were brought to a standstill
on june 26th. (BAB p35)
6th July, Started to sink West Pit shaft 18 and a half feet in diameter
First small school built by South Hetton Coal Company. Located at Durham Place
1841- Population of Murton 521 people who dwell in 89 houses.
Plans of the Colliery show 6 shafts (3 main and 3 Pumping shafts linked with stapples)
1843- The first of the three shafts sunk reach the Hutton Seam on April 15th at a depth of 1,483 feet (BAB p35)
Pit ponies introduced to Murton Colliery (BAB p43)
The acreage of Murton stated as 1454 acres. (BAB p27)
Church Lane Southern sections built, name taken from track from Murton Village to Dalton Church. (BAB p121 and p128)
1844- April 5th Miners Bond strike lasting 5 months in the Northumberland and Durham Coalfield. At a meeting at Newcastle's
Shaddon Hill the chairman announced that Dalton Men were present at the meeting (BAB p 100)
1845- Church Lane Northern sections built (BAB p121)
1846- Colonel Bradyll became bankrupt after the excessive cost of sinking Murton Colliery (MHV p 1)
1847- 17th February West Pit Shaft completed (BAB p35)
Two new shops built opposite the pit's northern entrance (BAB p 45)
1848- 15th August, Explosion at Murton Colliery in Polka East, 14 killed.
1850- By this time the Victoria Inn, Colliery Inn and Travellers Rest are established.
Primitive Methodist build their first Chapel.(MHV p2)
1851- Population of Murton 1,387 people there being 226 heads of households. (MHV p2)
Murton had four separete classifications; East Murton, West Moor, Murton Junction and Murton Colliery. (MHV p2)
1861- Population of Murton 2,104 people.
1862- Murtons first properly laid road from Murton Colliery to Stockton Road (Glebe Farm) (BAB p122)
South Hetton Coal Company took over Murton Colliery (MVH p1)
1867- A strata was sunk through in a staple from the Hutton Seam to Harvey Seam and
from the Main Coal to the Hutton Seam (BAB p 35)
1868- The Wesleyan Methodists build their church in Murton, which later had a school room built. (MHV p3)
1869- 20th November, Durham Miners Association formed in Market Tavern Durham. Two Murton Miners are appointed
to the first Executive Committee.
1870- At a meeting of the Durham Miners Association the Murton Branch was recorded as being the strongest in the County (MHV p3)
1871- 12th August, First Miners Gala held in Wharton Park Durham.
Population of Murton 3,017 people.
1872- 17th February, Abolition of the Miners Yearly Bond.
1873- The acreage of Murton stated as 1466 acres. (BAB p 27)
1874- May, One weeks strike at Murton Colliery. (BAB p 103)
Durham Colliery Mechanics Association formed this lasted until 1978 and failed.(BAB p 129)
The United Methodists or Bible Christians built their first Church in Murton (MHV p3)
1876- Holy Trinity foundation stone laid on Easter Tuesday by the Rev E. Shipperdson who had donated three acres of land
and gave a £1,100 subscription (BAB p128)
The Primitive Methodists open a new church on the site of the 1850 church. (MHV p3)
At the same time the Murton Miners built the Murton Miners Hall adjoining the Primitive Methodists Church.
1877- Holy Trinity Church opened and became the Parish Church.(BAB p 60)
Murton Co-operative store opened in Cookson Terrace.(MHV p4)
1879- April 5th to May16th Six Weeks General Strike at the Colliery.(BAB p103)
Cornwall House built, possibly for the colliery manager (BAB p 32)
Durham Colliery Mechanics Association re formed.(BAB p129)
Murton Co-operative Store opens on Woods Terrace (MHV p4)
1881- Population of Murton 4, 710 people.
Murton branch of the Enginemen's Association was formed.(BAB p129)
1883- August 20th to 25th Murton and South Hetton Colliery on strike on behalf of two coal hewers. (BAB p103)
The Independent Methodists built their first Church in Murton.
1884- The Murton Gospel Temperance Blue Ribbon Army Band formed (the term "blue ribbon " denotes in this instance
strict teetotalism and highest obtainable honours. (BAB p56) (BAB p117)
Pilgrim Street heralded old Cornwall complete.
1885- The brass band changed its name to "Murton Colliery Brass Band" (BAB p 56)
The Colliery Office built on the Avenue. (BAB p 31)
1888- Ambulance Classes began in Murton by Doctors Broadbent and Heatley as lecturers.
The Olympia theatre built in Murton. (BAB p 123)
1889- Electricity used at Murton Colliery for the first time.
The Murton Musical Society was formed.(MHV p 4)
1891-June 13th to August 17th Murton Colliery on strike (referred to as Lowes Strike regarding an issue with a deputy
names Lowes) (BAB p103) and (BAB p 106)
Population of Murton 5,052 people.
Nearly 3,000 Men and Boys work at Murton Colliery, one of the largest in County Durham.
1892- March 12th to June 10th Murton Colliery on a three months or County Strike (BABp 103)
1894- 17th December, First election for East Murton Parish Council.
1895- Gas lamps in use in Murton main streets, the gas was provided from the coke ovens (MHV p 4)
1896- Water forced out a segment of cast iron tubbing in the East Pit shaft about 460 feet from the surface, a roaring
cascade of water laying he East Pit idle for five weeks, before clever engineering could stem the rush.
1897-The new lamp cabin opened in the pit yard (November 30th)
1896- 29th September, Drinking water brought into Murton by Water Company.
Seaton Water Pumping Station built.(BAB p 121)
1898- The acreage of Murton stated as 1407 (BAB p 27)
1899- St Josephs school and church built (BAB p 60) prior to this the Catholics would treck to mainly Easington (MHV p4)
Burdon Water Pumping Station built. (BAB p 121)
Cornwall extended with Sea Views and Dene Terrace. (BAB p 121)
1900- 16th March, Officials Club opened.
20th October, Murton Victoria Club opened, C.Gibson first steward.
The Salvation Army building opened. (MHV p 4)
1901- Population of Murton 6,514 people.
Murton Miners get a holiday on August Bank Holiday Monday.(MHV p9)
The first recorded bathroom in Murton erected by the sub postmaster. (MHV p 9)
1902- The Temperance Club and Institute opened (MHV p7)
1903- The local council tendered for the erection of street lighting (MHV p 10)
1904- 8th December, Electricity first used in Holy Trinity Church.
Benjamin and Temple build Ada and Ellen Street named after their daughters.
Mr Johnson built Fife Street, Brooklyn and the Views.
The sewage system in Murton was improved from round middens being replaced by earth closets, one closet
to two households. (MHV p9)
1905- A Band Stand was built on Woods Terrace paid for by Mr W.O.Wood the agent for the South Hetton Coal
Company. (MH p8)
1906- Dalton Pumping Station built.
1908- 11th July, New ventilation fan in operation at Murton Colliery, old furnace for ventilation finished.
1909- Before 1909, 20 underground boilers near the main coal shaft bottom were maintained as steam raisers for pumps and
haulage engines (BAB p 108)
South Hetton Coal Company build Dalton Terrace (MHV p 9)
1910- 20th January, Miners on Strike, during a disturbance on the Pea Heaps the Riot Act is read. 200 police charge the miners,
many are injured through use of batons by police.
26th October, New Council Schools open for 1,700 pupils at a cost of £18,000. (BAB p128) (MHV p 11)
The Avenue was laid in 1910 (BAB p121)
The Empire Cinema was built. (MHV p 10)
1911- Population of Murton 7,721 people.
3rd April The Waterworks schools opened.
St Johns Ambulance Brigade Murton branch was formed (BAB 116)
1912- March 1st to April 6th, Murton Colliery on strike, Minimum Wage or First National Mining Strike
Plant was laid for the manufacture of bricks for colliery use and to supply local markets. Murton plant produced 10,000
Knaresborough Road and Coronation Street laid. (BAB p 121)
10th December Murton Miners Rescue Team was formed in the old schools with some of the ambulance brigade.
(BAB p128) (MHV p 13)
Earth Closets were built one per household.(MHV p 10)
Murton Brigade of St Johns Ambulance won the National competition for the Dewar Shield, the first time it had been
won by a colliery team (MHV p 12)
The foundation stone was laid for the first Aged Miner Homes (MHV p13-14)
1913- 11th July, King of Uganda visited Murton Colliery.
11th November, Foundation Stone for the first council houses in Murton laid by George Watkin.
Murton Division of the St Johns Ambulance Brigade attend a review at Windsor Great Park and inspection by
King George V. (BAB p116)
Edison, Faraday, Stephenson, and Watt Streets built (MHV p13)
The house keys handed over to the first twelve newly built Aged Miners Homes
1914- The R.C. Presbytery was completed and the priest took up residence (MHV p 13)
1915- 3rd February, National Democratic Club opened by E.S.Woods.
1918- 13th December, Gin Way fire in Main Coal Seam at Murton Colliery, 4 men killed.
January Murton branch of the Comrades of the War formed in Murton Victoria Club (BAB p 129)
1920- Murton Colliery on strike, October 18th to November 3rd, Two weeks strike. (BAB p 103)
Murton Cemetery, land purchased from Lady Knaresborough and was consecrated this year.
Earl Haigh formed the British Legion for ex servicemen.
1921- 28th November, South East Durham Bakery opened near Murton Station.
Population of Murton 8,694 people.
April 1st to July 1st Murton Colliery on strike National Lockout terminated by National Wages
agreement. (BAB p103)
Murton Philharmonic Society was formed J.Lisle esq sob. alto. of Durham Cathedral being the conductor
(MHV p 16)
1922- May 4th Commenced pulling down the Smokey Chimney (the name given to the old West Pit Ventilation
chimney) (BAB p 109)
1923- October 15th Flag hoisted on west pit shaft construction complete (BAB 109)
November 8th and 9th Cages fitted to West Pit.
5th December, Coals drawn at West Pit for the first time.
Wembley Road complete.
1924- East Moor Estate (Wembley) completed and officially opened.
All newly built houses had electric lighting installed, colliery houses in Murton followed at a slower rate (MHV p17)
Mid 1920's electric street lighting was introduced. (MHV p17)
1925- Hawthorn Water Pumping Station built.
1926- May 1st to November 30th Murton Colliery on Strike, General Strike, Nationally. (BAB p103)
Murton coke ovens become obsolete, 176 total of double battery beehive type.(BAB p 112)
Mr A.J.Cook addressed a meeting in the Demmy field (BAB p129)
1927- Welfare Park and grounds and Cornwall and Dalton swings opened.(BAB p 128)
1930- Output of Murton Colliery stated as One and a quarter million tons a year (BAB p 109)
October 23rd Murton beat its own daily record by drawing 5,064 tons of coal that day.
Murton Colliery employs 3,350 Men and Boys.
16th June Murton Women's Institute formed (BAB p130)
Motor Vehicles used by the Council for collection of Dust Bins.(MHV p 10)
Almost all houses in Murton had electric lighting installed (MHV p17)
The bandstand at the top of woods terrace was demolished to make way for private houses (MHV p 20)
1931- Population of Murton 9,344 people, workforce at Murton Colliery 3,332
Mr J. Ramsay McDonald addressed a meeting at Murton Miners Hall
1932- Mr J. Ramsay McDonald opens 14 Miners cottages.
1933- The Wesleyan Church closed and its few remaining members joined other Methodists in the village. (MHV p 7)
1935- Men at Murton Colliery start to carry electric lamps.
1936- Barnes Road completed.
1937- 18th April, All officials receive electric cap lamps and carry re lighters (Davy Lamps.)
21st December, Explosion 5/4 1st South West district, 4 men killed. (BAB p51)
Murton Colliery surface converted to mains electricity.
265 ponies were stabled in various seam underground at Murton Colliery.
17th December Murton Victoria Club burned down.(BAB p129)
1938- 19th November Mr E Shinwell MP attended meeting at Murton Demmy to award diplomas for long service to
Durham Miners Association (BAB p129)
The Aged Miners hostel was built it had accomodation for twelve miners, a man and wife caretaker (MVH p 19)
1939- 14th January, Pithead Baths opened by Mr W.O.B. Forster Chairman of South Hetton Coal Company.
Prior to this the miners had to bathe at home in front of the fire (in a tin bath) (MHV p 19)
Dalton Pumping Station South Plant built.
The women's section of the British Legion was formed in Murton.(BAB p129)
The Rex Cinema Opened
1940- 9th May The new Cemetery opened
1942- 26th June, Explosion 5/4 1st East Back Over Flat, 13 men killed. (BAB p 51) (BAB 113)
1945- Murton Deputies form their own union.
1946- July 12th The Government took over control of Great Britain's Coal Mines National Coal Board set up by
an Act of Parliament.
1947- 4th January, Vesting Day, Mining Industry Nationalised, Murton Colliery had been in production 103 years,
Miners employed 2,766.
M. Shinwell M.P. Minister of Fuel and Power along with Lord Hyndley first Chairman of the National Coal Board
attends celebrations in Murton Pit Yard. (BAB p128)
East Murton Womens Institute formed. (BAB p130)
1949- 26th January BBC Workers Playtime Broadcast from Murton Pit canteen Male Voice Choir
1950- The local Co-op extended and opened premises at the west of Barnes Road (MHV p 20)
1951- 5th November BBC Workers Playtime Broadcast from Murton Pit canteen had Penman's Band
Population of Murton 9,687 people. Colliery Employees numbered nearly 2,799 producing an average 18,000 tons
of coal weekly. (BAB p110)
1952- 149 ponies were stabled at Murton Colliery
24th January Wilfred Pickles "Have a Go" had the show in Murton Pit Canteen
1953- 16th July, Murton Colliery annual holidays, for the first time two weeks with pay.
23d March the Colliery Medical Centre costing £6,000 opened by Mr E.H.D Skinner Chairman of the
Durham Divisional Coal Board
1956- The Bible Christians amalgamate with the Primitive Methodists.(MHV p3)
8th December New Dance Hall extension to Murton Victoria Club opened.
1957- 18th January Murton Miners receive their pay in envelopes for the first time.
1st July New Library opened on Barnes Road
2nd September Murton Putters strike.
1958- July, New Workshops opened at Murton Colliery surface.
Murton British Legion HQ burned down.
1st November, Murton Colliery Brickworks close.
1959- Murton Colliery changed over to electricity, flight loading mechanisation used, Rope haulage ending with
ten hundred weight tubs changed to two ton capacity mine cars, drawn by 13 ton English Electric Locomotives.
The last of Princess Street cleared ready for demolition.
The bottom level or seven quarter seam started at Murton Colliery.
August, Murton Colliery coals drawn at Hawthorn Shaft Top Level for the first time.
19th December Murton Democratic Club burned down (BAB p 129)
1960- 19th March, The Bible Christian or Cornish Chapel became the Assembly of God
22nd October Murton Democratic Club re-opened (BAB p129)
Murton Colliery Welfare F.C. win the Ship Owners Cup for the first Time. They beat Shotton 5-0
at Roker Park.
23rd March, Murton's over Sixty Club formed.
July The Steam Winder at the middle pit and associated boiler plant closed down, the new electric winder
put into service.
The workforce at Murton Colliery was 2,303.
The Assembly of God Methodists move to the Greenhill's Chapel (Opposite the pit gates)
1961- Population of Murton 8,615 people
The acreage of Murton stated as 1406 acres. (BAB p27)
17th June, Swimming Pool opened by Mr Alder.
Started to demolish Murton Pit chimney, it had been in use since February 1910.
Murton Avenue Coal Depot demolished.
1962- Murton Colliery 2,100 men employed, Hawthorn 216 (BAB p 113)
The demolition of Murton Street and the remainder of Cornwall, new estate built.
1963- 1st June St Paul's Methodist Chapel dedication. (BAB p128)
The old East Pit Pulley removed and rebuilt. (BAB p 30)
1964- 17th December St. Joseph’s new Catholic Church consecrated.
25th April Dr W.Reid Chairman of the Northumberland and Durham Divisional Coal Board opened Murtons £100,000
April, Polka Low Main Seam finished production at Murton Colliery, some men transfered to Vane Tempest Colliery.
First shearer face at Murton Colliery, yard seam 3rd East, West No 4
October, first shearer face in 7/4 seam started (No 5 South)
Wesleyan Chapel demolished.
1967- The Harvey Coal Seam finished production at Murton Colliery.
1970- The workforce at Murton Colliery was 1,506.
1971- Population of Murton 8,176 people.
Last Pit Pony “Darkie” leaves Murton Colliery.
1972- January, Miners out on strike for seven weeks, first national stoppage since 1926.
1977- August, Duchess Of Kent visits Murton Colliery.
Murton Jubilee Primary School opened.
1981- July, A new coal transportation system of conveyor belts installed at the top level of Murton Colliery to replace the existing
battery locomotives pulling mine cars.
1982- First Memorial Service held to commemorate all fatalities at Murton Colliery
1983- South Hetton Colliery closed, the colliery and workforce is merged with that of Murton Colliery.
Started to drive drift from Murton Colliery bottom level to Eppleton Colliery.
1984- 11th March, Murton Miners out on strike over the Tory government’s pit closure program.
1985- 5th March, Murton Miners return to work after the longest strike on record. The miners, women's support group, and their
families march from the Welfare
Hall up the terrace to the Colliery, behind the Brass Band and the banner.
7/4 or bottom level finished production, conveyor belt system installed to take Eppleton Colliery Coal to Hawthorn shaft.
1986- Eppleton Colliery closed, the colliery and workforce merged with that of Murton Colliery.
1987- May, John Cummings electrician at Murton Colliery elected as M.P. for Easington.
1991- 28th November, Murton Colliery ceases production, salvage operations begin to remove machinery.
1992- 28th March salvage operations complete the demolition of Murton Colliery started.
1997- Murton Jubilee Primary School opens.
2001- 26th January, Murton Welfare Hall refurbishment completed, reopened by Rt. Hon Tony Blair M.P. Prime Minister and renamed
“The Glebe Centre”. (The Glebe being the name given to the first district of the Hutton seam mined at Murton Colliery.)
2002- 18th March, Preparatory work starts on Dalton Park on site of old colliery spoil heaps.
Murton Heritage Society formed Alan Bell (Chairman), Derek Gibson (Secretary) and Brian C. Lawson Treasurer.
2003- 10th April, Dalton Park opened.
2004- Murton Democratic Club demolished and a new care home (Church View) for the elderly built.
2005- 5th June Dalton-le-Dale celebrated the 850th Anniversary of St Andrews Church
2006- December, the first people move in to new houses on Thomas Brothers site (Fairfield Park)
Ribbon School opened, (Existing Jubilee and County Schools demolished) (see details 1884 above, for origin of name)
2007- 9th July Preparatory work starts on the new road from he A19 to the former Hawthorn Coke works site.
28th September Official Ground breaking ceremony for start of construction of new road.
19th November preparatory work started on new housing development behind the east of woods terrace.
Raines farm buildings restored, old barns converted to houses.
2008- 12th February demolition started on the Jamies tile factory (the old redifusion factory) to clear site for new housng development.
Old farm buildings opposite the cenotaph demolished and construction of housing development started.
Final stage of the restoration of the cenotaph and its grounds by Groundwork complete.
First stage of construction at the Hawthorn Industrial estate starts.
What Year were did the following take place
Cold Hesledon demolished new ind estate built (when)
Bakery demolished Broadoaks housing estate built
Bus Depot Demolished New houses built
Dr Rangars Nursing home built
Wellfield house demolished new houses 2007?
Railway line from Seaham to Hawthorn Mine and to Sunderland removed, cycle paths built.
Hawthorn cokeworks demolished land reclaimed.
This initial list of events are what the Heritage Society has gathered from the various sources past and present to give you an insight to the development of the village throughout the ages, now its over to you, what other facts can we add? Please Contact Us